Zinc is one nutrient that has been google searched more often more due to the ongoing pandemic. Why is this? Many individuals are now taking a hard look at their personal health and how to improve their immune system to fight off COVID-19 and other viruses.
What is Zinc? Zinc is a nutrient naturally found in your body that aids in improving your immune system, supports your metabolism, helps with the body’s ability to heal from cuts and wounds and surprisingly is critical for smell and taste function. If you want to read more in-depth examples on Zinc’s beneficial properties, Mayo Clinic and Mount Sinai both offer additional information on Zinc’s use.
Zinc can take on many different forms in the shape of different compounds. Some dangerous for consumption and some compounds beneficial to the human body.
Zinc Nitrate vs Zinc Picolinate
Two versions of Zinc include Zinc Nitrate and Zinc Picolinate. Knowing how to distinguish which is healthy and safe is important. Here’s what you need to know:
- Zinc Nitrate is an inorganic chemical compound that is naturally colorless and is a white crystalline powder. Zinc Nitrate is commonly used in liquid fertilizer. It is hazardous for humans and can cause dizziness, headaches, nausea, and vomiting. Extreme exposure to this substance can lead to difficulty breathing, collapse, and in certain cases death.
Zinc Nitrate, Zinc Picolinate is one of the best Zinc dietary
supplements for your body. It’s known as a trace mineral, which means it is an
essential mineral that the body needs to get from food, and supports the body’s
ability to absorb nutrients (aka metabolism). It’s an essential supplement that
helps many organs, systems (skeletal, immune, neurological, and endocrine)
function normally. Zinc absorption is rather complex, but at a high level it is
the process of zinc going through a person’s intestinal membrane.
specific benefits for Zinc Picolinate include:
- Control the spread of acne
- Boost the immune system
- Cleanse the body of harmful toxins
- Helps pregnant women who face zinc deficiency
- Helps pregnant women in the proper development of her fetus
- Some specific benefits for Zinc Picolinate include:
Zinc is a necessary mineral co-factor for hundreds of enzymatic reactions related to protein and carbohydrate metabolism, RNA/DNA synthesis, and intercellular signaling. It is also known to play a critical role in the body’s defense against oxidative processes and is especially helpful for maintenance of healthy aging.
As you think about your own diet and goals, try to evaluate whether or not you are zinc deficient. AOS Life has many zinc supplements to support a healthy lifestyle!